Gomer's grief.
A sudden noise woke me up. A car screeched past me. I checked my phone it was 4 am. I was lying on the footpath. And suddenly my whole body started to ache. I couldn't get up. I felt my back was broken. One of my eyes felt sore and my legs felt numb. How did I reach here? I tried to recognise the place, and slowly the picture started getting a bit clearer. A flashback and for a nanosecond I remembered my teen days passing the same streets with my friends totally care free from the worries of this world. A nanosecond later reality struck. I was in the same world facing defeat every day.
It was four years since I had seen mum. I left her to pursue my so called dream. She had opposed my idea and like the adamant person I had always been I left her all alone to fend for herself. I wanted to be a model. And being the overconfident teenager I was I took a train to the City. A few clothes, few bars of chocolate and a Bible. I did not know what the Bible was for but I kept it, it gave me a sense of strength. The next morning I did not know what I was supposed to do. I found a few contacts and tried to audition. They wouldn't even consider me. I was underage. I felt a deep yearning, get back to mum. It was too late already. I went hungry for three days. A man offered me a job and I wasn't sure what it really was. I had a feeling of reluctance before but then the fleshly hunger overpowered me. I had sold myself for a morsel of bread.
I gathered all my strength and tried to rise. Went to the nearest tap to have a sip of water. In the puddle, I saw my face. It wasn't me. Disfigured beyond recognition. Was this the price I had to pay for a meal? My tears had dried up. I do not remember the last time I cried. I forgot how to cry. This pain had made me steel. A barrier I had created around myself, but on the inside, I was brittle as brittle as glass.
The man I trusted for a job had actually sold me into flesh trade. He was a broker and found people for me. He found a place for me to stay and gave me some food. He would bring people into the house and when they left he took away the money I thought I earned.
I stared into the darkness. But today the darkness felt nearer than it usually seemed to be. I heard a baby cry. I thought to myself where on earth did someone leave a baby here in the night. I stared deeper I saw a man talking to the tramp holding a book in his hand. Yeah the same book, that leather-bound book. I thought to myself if there are any hypocrites there is no bigger than these Bible preachers. I tried looking deeper I recognised him. This was the man who loved me truly for what I am. And that baby he was holding it was mine.
The man who sold me was on drugs he passed out and that day I ran away. Only to be caught by the police for possessing a drug. Then came a man he paid my bail and brought me out. This man was different. He took proper care of me in his small house. He married me the very next day. We had a baby. I somehow could not forgive myself for my past. And it kept thrusting my heart with a sword. I felt I was not worth this much love. So I left I ran away again. And only this time, I did not know why I was running. I had no goal in my mind this time. And to my dreadful surprise just a few blocks down I was picked up by the same man who had sold me. I was beaten badly and when they thought I died they threw me.
He saw me, He recognised me. Tears rolled down his cheeks. He said 'come back home'. He said I have loved you with an everlasting love, and there is nothing in this World that can make my love lesser for you, you are the apple of my eye. With the crying baby in one hand and me on the shoulder, he carried me. He took me home and bonded my wounds he healed me. He poured the oil of healing.
He saved me.
#microfiction
#ModernAdaptationOfTheBookOfHosea

Comments
Post a Comment